A Brief History of the Bethany Congregational Church
The church first gathered in 1832 as the Evangelical Society of Quincy with 21 charter members. In 1896, the church changed its name to Bethany Congregational Church. The church continued to grow and in 1961 Bethany became a member of a new denomination, the United Church of Christ.
In the past century, thirteen of Bethany’s young men have been ordained as ministers in the Christian faith. Bethany has had fifteen settled ministers of its own since its founding. Currently, we do not have a settled minister but are actively seeking a new minister. Our Pastor Emeritus is the Reverend William C. Harding, III.
Bethany has had three locations in Quincy. The first church was located at the corner of Hancock Street and Revere Road. The second church was located on the corner of Hancock and Chestnut Streets where the South Shore Bank now stands. The present cathedral-like church of English Gothic architecture was constructed of solid Quincy granite at the corner of Coddington Street and Spear Street in 1927. The following year the soaring 120 foot tower with it imposing gargoyles was completed and has remained a beacon on Quincy’s skyline. In 1989, the church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
For nearly 200 years Bethany has maintained its bond with the Quincy Community and its people. The church is currently undergoing a project in conjunction with the City of Quincy to conserve and archive it's vast database of church records and artifacts.
A post card showing Bethany Congregational Church in the 40's.
UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST - QUINCY, MASSACHUSETTS
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CONGREGATIONAL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES
Bethany Congregational Church shortly after completion of building in the late 1920's prior to the addition of the iconic gargoyles [technically, they are called grotesques because they do not function as rain spouts] on the bell tower. The Thomas Crane Public Library is also shown on the right.
The second Bethany Church on Hancock Street from about 1895, seen in the distance in the center of the picture.